When is it time to buy new furniture? Take a look around your house and ask yourself these questions:
1. Are your sofa or chair cushions showing signs of wear? If it?s leather, maybe the seat cushions are discolored, lighter in the seat area than the rest of the sofa or chair. If it?s fabric, see if the upholstery threads are pulling apart or discolored. If your furniture is showing signs of wearing, it?s time to consider new furniture or at least slip covering options.
2. Are there holes in your furniture? You might be able to stitch or patch the holes if the rest of the piece is structurally sound. Otherwise, start thinking about new furniture.
3. When you rise from the seat, does the cushion remain sunken? Check the springs to see if that?s the problem. If a broken or stretched spring is the culprit, the problem can probably be repaired, maybe even by yourself if you happen to be handy in that way. If the springs look okay, maybe you just need a new cushion. Take a cushion with you to an upholstery shop or fabric store to show the sales person what kind of cushion you need to replace the bad one. It?s a good idea to take a good cushion with you so the sales person can help match the cushion to the firmness and density you want to replace the bad cushion with.
4. Is the frame of your furniture still in good shape? If a sofa or chair has been dropped, it might crack a wooden frame. Flip your furniture upside down and take a look.
5. Does your furniture sit level? If it?s not level, check the frame. Check the legs to make sure a peg is not missing. If you can?t spot the problem, it?s time to buy new furniture.
6. When you sit on your furniture, do you feel the arms separate from the rest of the frame? Maybe you have a problem that can be solved with wood glue and a few clamps. Otherwise, for safety?s sake, get rid of your old furniture.
7. When you sit down, do you feel wood or a frame sticking out? Consider that poke in the behind your official cue to buy new furniture!
8. If you know it?s time to replace the old look of your furniture, decide if the update can be done with a simple slipcover. By measuring the furniture properly, a slip cover ? either purchased ready made or custom made if your furniture has an unusual shape or curve to it ? you can get a nice fit. Slip covers range in price starting at about $40. The better fabric you select, the higher the price. If you just want to update your furniture for a few more months until you save enough money to buy an all new ensemble, slip covers are the way to go.
9. Look at the finances. Will buying new furniture mean you?ll have to finance the purchase? If so, can you handle the extra bill each month?
10. Do you just want to? There?s nothing wrong with ?wanting? new furniture. Look for solid pieces that will give your family many years of enjoyment and you?ll always be happy with your decision to buy new furniture!